Pages

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

WKU Student Blog Post: Amber D.

Hey out there! WKU student here!

My name is Amber, hailing from the lovely metropolis of Georgetown, KY. I am double majoring in Spanish Language and Literature and Communication Studies and I am working on a minor in International Business. I have two semesters left at WKU and I will most likely return to get my Master's degree from here as well, because apparently I just can't get enough of "the hill"! (They freak you out with all of the hype about the calf 'n thigh-sculpting hill, but it is not that bad, I swear!)

The majority of college graduates in my family are WKU alumni, hence, I wanted to be different and go to another school. I finally ended my rebellion and transferred to WKU in the fall of 2007. (Life lesson learned: Give it up and listen to your elders, they really do know what they are talking about.)

The programs here definitely prepare students for a successful future because of the knowledgeable and experienced faculty we have as professors. All of my teachers know my name and always have a friendly greeting for me when I pass them in the hallways. While here, you will find that all of the faculty and staff are here for you and are student-focused, whether that be your advisor, your residential assistant (RA), the student center manager, the food court servers, or the friendly staff in the billings department.

Since I have been at WKU, I have embraced all of the opportunities available to me. Last year, I was the vice president of the WKU International Club-- an organization with over 200 members. With other members of the International Club, I participated in the Women's Intramural Soccer Tournament. Intramural sports are open to students regardless of skill level and our team was the perfect example of just how unskilled players can be yet still be able to participate. Even if we lost a lot, it was incredibly fun and we plan on winning this year's tournament. Last fall, I was a member of the WKU Spanish Club and just recently I joined WKU's chapter of the International Association of Business Communicators. Once you get involved in campus activities, you will never find a dull moment.

My favorite thing about WKU is that if you do not see whichever organization, interest group, activity, or even major or minor offered then you can make it happen by coordinating with the various campus administrators. For that reason, at WKU the famous phrase, "Where there's a will, there's a way", has never been more accurate.

I look forward to keeping you all updated on the weekly adventures of my life as a Hilltopper and hope that one day you will come join all the fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment