Pages

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Your Shoes Don't Have to Match Your Shirt and Pants

Kiwi. Banana. Apple. Blackberry. Pomegranate. Plum. Strawberry. Rug.
Apricot. Raspberry. Tangerine. Mango. Passion fruit. Pineapple. Chemistry.

There are times when a sequence does not make sense. There are also times when a sequence does not have to make sense. That is how you should think of a college education, like the latter sentence.

This semester, I am enrolled in two bi-term (the first or second half of the semester) classes that I do not need. Both of them are about food. Both of them have nothing to do with my major. Both of them require a lot more work than I had initially expected. Both of those classes are awesome and extremely relevant to my life.

Although these classes are totally out of line with my current route of studies (Communication Studies and Spanish... oh yeah! ♥), they are probably going to be the most beneficial classes I will take this semester.

I will not get into the specifics of the two classes beyond the fact that they both examine the role that food plays in our health, policies, environment, and overall culture. I am learning information that I would have never taken the time to learn on my own had I not enrolled myself in these classes.

My point is, the route of classes you take during your college years does not have to make total sense. It does not have to be some perfect sequence or some "race to the end."

Advice from a senior: Take your time. Relax. Avoid predictability. Take the unbeaten path every now and then. You will develop new areas of interest, new skills, new pools of knowledge. You will appreciate the opportunity to learn while you are still in college.

So, that is enough "waxing poetic" with ya'll for a late Saturday night. Until next time... steer off course a bit... live a little!

No comments:

Post a Comment