Pages

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Major Decisions

I hope by now that most of the incoming freshmen have already attended an ATP and registered for classes. They tend to fill up quickly the later you wait, and I happen to know this all too well. As a slice of advice in advance, your major is probably going to chance at least once within your college career. Most students are able to graduate in four years, but those who declare majors and minors late become 5th- or 6th-year seniors (just a heads up). You may think that you have found your passion, the area of knowledge that you are sure will make your future job fun and not work, but I would not close the other doors just yet. Let me share my story with you.

Before coming to Western, I knew that I was interested in math, psychology, and graphic design. Other than that, I had no clue what I would be when I "grew up," or what my major would be, so I entered in as "Undeclared." A few months went by of my first semester and one day I decided that psychology was the right track for me. I knew that the classes I would be taking excited me, so I printed off the change of major form and dropped it off at the dean's office in Tate Page Hall. From that day forward, until recently, my plan was to earn a Bachelor's of Science in psychology, go to graduate school for my Master's, and finally get a PhD.

So what happened that changed my plans? During finals week, I was looking at some photos of designs that a friend had made. Seeing all of the cool things she had created reminded me of how much I had wanted to be a graphic designer, and I realized that I had completely closed the door of possibility for having a different major than psychology. A fear that I would regret not trying graphic design made me rethink my decision, and last week, I again printed off the change of major request form. This time I turned it in to Mass Media and Technology Hall slightly less excited and a little more nervous than before. Honestly, I am scared because I know I enjoy psychology, but I have no experience with design and advertising. The only thing I can do is try, but is that not what college is all about: trying new things, succeeding and failing, growing, learning, and stepping out of your comfort zone?

Currently, I am in the process of rearranging my class schedule for the fall, and it is a little overwhelming. Most classes with the best times are already full, so I will be taking four classes Monday and Wednesday and one class on Tuesday and Thursday, as well as an online web course. Next semester will be tough, but I know I can do it. Right now I just plan to enjoy the long summer break and I hope you do too!

No comments:

Post a Comment