Pages

Friday, June 26, 2009

Tips for move-in day!

I am sure that all of you incoming freshmen are getting anxious about coming to Western. Summer has finally began as of last Sunday and there are only two months left until students are back on the hill again! I am so excited for another year of meeting new people, challenging myself academically, working out in Preston, and eating Subway as much as I want (it is so expensive without a meal plan!).

If you are anything like me, I was literally counting down the days until I could move in and finally call myself a "college kid." My car was loaded down with anything and everything I thought I would need living on my own, and I had recruited my father to help me move it all in to the eighth floor of Minton Hall. I was prepared and ready to go, with new sheets on my bed and a new mini fridge ready to be put to use. Now the question is are you prepared to live on campus?

Some things you should do before arriving can be found in the following list I brainstormed just for you!

  1. Buy a parking permit. This can be found on the Parking and Transportation website, or by clicking here.
  2. Make sure you have all of the college necessities, such as a pillow and blankets, a mini fridge, microwave, desk lamp, school supplies, clothes, flip flops and a shower caddy, sunglasses, an umbrella, and an alarm clock. You get the picture. For a more detailed list, check out these links: The Definitive Freshman Checklist, CollegeBoard.com, Bed Bath & Beyond, OfftoCollege.com, or the College Moving Checklist.
  3. Contact your future roommate and introduce yourself. It will also be helpful to decide who is bringing what, so you do not end up with two microwaves or irons.
  4. Print directions to campus or use a GPS, so you do not get lost on the way here! Google Maps is my favorite directions site.
  5. Plan to say your goodbyes before you leave home because move-in day is always a little crazy. P.S. It has been known to rain, so keep an eye on the weather and an umbrella handy.
  6. Tell your parent(s)/guardian(s) thank you for helping you move in! Just think of how much you will appreciate it when you have to move in by yourself next year.
Those are just a few things to get you thinking about what you will need to do before coming to WKU this fall. Until then, I hope you are having a fantastic summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment