Pages

Friday, July 24, 2009

Semester at Sea

The past month has been a whirlwind of paperwork, applications, and deadlines. On June 16, I received a life-changing e-mail from the Assistant Director of Academics in the Honors College, Dr. Clay Motley, about an amazing study abroad opportunity for this fall semester. In the message, I discovered that I could participate in Semester at Sea (SAS), studying aboard a ship and traveling around the world to 11 different countries, for a discounted price. Not only was I extremely excited about this experience, but I replied to the e-mail as soon as I finished reading and was speaking to a representative only a few hours later.

Since that day, I have written multiple essays, filed for a passport, taken ten 2 in. x 2 in. photos, visited a handful of faculty and staff for signatures, read many documents, and the list could go on. I have had less than two months to complete the pre-study abroad process, whereas students normally plan six months to a year in advance. When anyone asks how my summer has been so far, I automatically reply with, "Busy," and proceed to a short explanation. I believe it is only fair that I inform you, and everyone reading, what Semester at Sea is all about.

Imagine snorkeling amidst the coral reefs in Hawaii, trekking across the Great Wall of China, walking through the beautiful Taj Mahal, or riding a camel in the Sahara dessert. 109 days, from August 28 to December 14, will be filled with amazing experiences such as these and much, much more. The voyage begins in Halifax, Nove Scotia, Canada, where the MV Explorer will depart. I will have to travel by plane (for the first time) to get there! Every day at sea, including weekends, we will attend classes that accommodate any major, as well as listen to guest speakers from each port. From there, we will travel to Spain, Morocco, Ghana, South Africa, Mauritius, India, Vietnam, China, Japan, Hawaii, and finally return to San Diego, California. Now can you see why I am absolutely thrilled to have this opportunity?

No other study abroad program will give me the opportunity to see the world in four months while earning 12 hours of college credit! I am beyond stoked for this and I only have thirty-five days until I leave the country! I definitely plan to take hundreds of pictures while I am abroad and to keep you updated on my journey through WKU's blog. Until next time, enjoy the rest of your summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment