Pages

Saturday, April 4, 2009

From the fifth corner of the room

Well hello again!

My imagination goes to the fifth corner of a square room sometimes, so please bear with me now as I reveal a secret passion of mine, okay?

There is something that I absolutely love in life more than my clothes, more than a good movie, more than my phone, more than a BeyoncĂ© concert, more than my new laptop, more than my I-Pod (ahem… clarification on the assumption of “spoiled-ness”: the last two were unexpected gifts from loved-ones which I greatly appreciated). If you were to put my “true love” in front of me, I would turn down all of the above. It is simple. My true love in life is really good food. Seriously, I am not joking. My friends can attest to this true love of mine. I mean, some foods are original, yet others are so complex. The options never end. It is always evolving and its flavors constantly intensifying.

Food reminds me of the majors available at Western Kentucky University. If you want something sweet perhaps you can go for half a dozen donuts dunked in child studies. Maybe you want to opt for something a little more challenging; hence you would go for a plate of crab legs served with a side of physics. Or maybe you like fancy desserts like six-tiered wedding cakes. In that case you might go for a slice of art. Maybe you prefer something a little more controversial; thus you might want to go for the bag of chocolate covered grasshoppers double-dipped in political science and religious studies. Perhaps you enjoy metropolitan cuisine which might inspire you to choose the new popular culture studies sushi roll this time. Perchance you can handle spicy foods and you are longing to order the habanera sauce poured over Spanish and Latin American studies. Or perhaps you would rather have something that is a bit more of an American staple food and in that case you cannot go wrong with mashed potatoes and a large spoonful of History flavored gravy. You possibly have a deep connection with Southern cuisine and cannot part with your grits sprinkled with anthropology and folklore. If a diet has you in the mood to eat healthy, then maybe the salad with pecan-crusted chicken would go well with the Nursing dressing. Maybe you are a part of that new organic food trend and opt for the hummus and plate of chemistry or agriculture. Perhaps a black-tie event encourages you to decide on something a bit more formal like caviar served over a bed of business. If you are a true chef, then maybe you want to create your own flavors to invent a new major dish. And maybe you are starved and cannot limit your options and just want it all. In that case, the buffet allows you to choose up to three majors to fit on your dinner plate.

No matter which food you pick to appease your appetite of the day, you cannot go wrong because it all tastes good if prepared correctly. Just as any food requires a great chef to be prepared correctly, so too does any student. Students require great chefs in the form of professors who are knowledgeable about whichever flavor may be their specialty. From personal experience, I have benefitted tremendously from the great “chefs” we have here at WKU. So do not be afraid to appease the appetite of your life because it is always fun to mix things up a bit. Go on and go for that fried catfish although you just ate spaghetti and meatballs (kind of like an architectural sciences and dietetics double major). You are unique, so make it personal and perfect for your own interests, desires and long-term appetite. Whichever food you choose it should satisfy your craving and give you the pleasure of eating the best (*insert your favorite food here*) you have ever put in your mouth. At WKU, you can order the major that is just right for you and there will be an advisor who is helping you out all along the way. I have benefited from the large menu available to us students and hope that your taste buds will help you decide which major you would like to order as well.

I am a little hungry now so I will see you all later!

By the way, wish my intramural soccer team good luck as we play in the semi-finals! All of us were surprised that we made it this far!

No comments:

Post a Comment